A Hope in Human Diversity

Because of my love for diverse colors, foods, clothing styles, music, books, art, nature, and eclectic household decor, I believe my life is similar to a kaleidoscope with its many beautiful colors and intricate, changing patterns.

Because I also love learning about different nationalities, cultures, and ethnicities, I wish I could have been a participant in The Human Library Project in Toronto, Canada. about which I recently read.

The Human Library Project was held on November 6, 2010, at the Bloor/Gladstone library branch of the Toronto Public Library, the world’s largest public library.

I wish I could have been among those who used their library cards to check out a volunteer “book” for a half-hour.  I could have had a very personal, one-on-one conversation with several different people from different backgrounds whose lives make good reading.

The first Human Library Project began in Copenhagen about ten years ago.  Its purpose was to help break down prejudice among people of diverse backgrounds.

I believe the Human Library Project and other similar cultural diversity projects may go a long way toward helping people appreciate, accept, and include God’s diverse human creation in their lives.

Children and youth study Biology, Botany, Zoology, Geography, and Astrology in school, which help give them an appreciation and understanding of the diversity in the natural world:  flowers, plants, trees, animals, insects, seasons, stars and planets, oceans, rivers, streams, and geological regions.

As adults most people have learned to appreciate and enjoy diverse foods, which are already included in their diets:  German sauerkraut, Italian spaghetti, Irish potatoes, English Tea, Danish pastry, Swiss cheese, Mexican tacos, etc..

But for some reason, some people still have difficulty appreciating, accepting, enjoying, and including God’s diverse human creation in their lives.

If local libraries and/or schools cannot emulate the Human Library Project, possibly people can find their own ways to educate themselves about human diversity by becoming more familiar with people from different backgrounds.

Some of the people with diverse nationalities, ethnicities, and backgrounds are neighbors, co-workers, or fellow students.  They may welcome an opportunity to share with you personally or share with a group or organization to which you belong.

In my opinion, it is way past time for all people to accept, appreciate, enjoy, include, and actually find hope in human diversity.

About these ads

9 comments on “A Hope in Human Diversity

1. Kate Kresse says:

what a wonderful idea! I have never heard of that project-it is a wonderful concept. No wonder it is catching on!

• Connie Wayne says:

Kate, I so love the concept and wish there was something like that in my community. Who knows you and I might just be two catalysts to start such a project in our communities. Thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting on post. Most of all thanks for your prayers and concerns for my family. Blessings, Connie

2. pattisj says:

This sounds like an interesting project. As you said, it may be as simple as walking next door.

• Connie Wayne says:

I found it fascinating and wished there was something like it in my community. I am going to talk to the Librarian next time I am at the library. Thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting. Blessings, Connie

3. This is a GREAT idea! I am going to tell my library about it.

4. Debbie says:

What a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing it, Connie! I’m on the road and move every month, so I’m rarely at any library, but will try to spread the word. :D
    Debbie

• Connie Wayne says:

Debbie, It only takes a spark to get a fire going, and the more people who are spreading sparks, the more likelihood of a larger fire starting. Thanks for your willingness to share the concept of the article. Blessings, Connie

5. [...] A Hope for Today –  A Hope for Today promotes hope, peace, love, equality, and unity for all people; therefore, its content appeals to people of all spiritual backgrounds, nationalities, and ethnicities.       [...]

Your comments are always welcome.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s