A Hope for More Than Human Tensile Strength

Tensile strength is the greatest amount of stretching a material can withstand before it tears.  Sometimes people’s only hope for today is to have a tensile strength that helps them safely, without breaking or tearing, make it through the circumstances or events of the day.

On those days when life takes people by surprise and presents them with an unexpected challenge, crisis, disease, or death, people need a strong, inner, tensile strength.

Because mere human tensile strength is weak and susceptible to breaking or tearing, people need a strength that is stronger than their own.

Two days ago, on Christmas Eve, I faced a family crisis for which I needed strength greater than my own.  Late in the evening, I received a call from my brother-in-law, who informed me that my sister was in the emergency room of the hospital.

As I hurried to the hospital, only five blocks away from my house, I began to cry and pray for my sister.  I was totally distraught; however, upon entering the hospital door, an amazing calm overtook me.

By the time I reached her bedside, I was able to calm my sister who was highly disoriented, anxious, and showing signs of a stroke or heart attack.

After my sister and I spent Christmas Eve night in a freezing cold emergency room, the hospital admitted her on Christmas Day.  Later that day, we learned that her EKG and blood work had shown evidence of a heart attack.

It is now four days later, and my sister is still in the hospital at which I have also stayed for the past four days; and, hopefully, she will be able to go home today.

While I make plans to continue to help my sister in the immediate days ahead, I am also faced with another family crisis.   My younger brother, who lives in another state, was recently diagnosed with cancer.  Tomorrow he finds out how far the cancer has spread throughout his body, and on January 9th he has surgery.

I am the middle child in my family, and I am now in the middle of a crisis with both my siblings.  This is a time when I need more than my own tensile strength to get me through the days ahead.

Physically, mentally, and emotionally tired, I am aware of a spiritual strength within me that is empowering me to cope with my current family crisis.  I know that inner strength is Spirit-might, which is greater than my own tensile strength.

When I returned home today for breakfast, a brief rest, and fresh clothing to go back to the hospital or to my sister’s house,  I discovered that a fellow blogger and new friend, who had no awareness of my current family situation, had nominated me for the Candle Lighter Award.

I learned from her blog that “The Candle Lighter Award belongs to those who believe, who always survive the day and those who never stop dreaming, for those who cannot quit, for those who keep trying.”

Thank you Woman at the Well for allowing God to use you and the Candle Lighter Award to confirm the Spirit-strength that never breaks or tears.  I face the days ahead with new and greater strength.

About these ads

16 comments on “A Hope for More Than Human Tensile Strength

1. theWomanAtTheWell says:

Connie,
    My tears formed quickly for your struggles, faith of steel indeed, my sister in Christ. You and your family are in my daily prayers and may you receive from God the strength and peace you need to help you make it through. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. God Bless.-WATW

2. teabag48 says:

I know you and your sister will pull through this crisis. I also know, a light shines deep inside you for all to see. I am so pleased one of your readers could see that light……

• Connie Wayne says:

Thanks Teabag48. I also have seen that same light shine from you. As the words of a song say, “It only takes a spark to get a fire going.” Since I have been blogging, I have met a lot of bloggers who are sending their light or sparks into the world. Hopefully, the light of this fire will keep spreading around the world. Blessings on the coming new year, Connie

3. becca givens says:

It seems when we are in the midst of some of our worst crises … we find how much relying on God provides us with an amazing strength, insight, grace and perseverance to get through it with an calm — a gift that prevails! Lifting your sister, brother and you up in prayer to get each of you through this trying time.

4. Oh, Connie…I’m so sorry about your brother and sister’s health problems…and wishing you strength, comfort and nurturing as you offer support and strength to them. I had a variation of that several years ago with my brother, mother and daughter…all at the same time…somehow I was able to be there for them and help get them through….but….it took a toll on me…one that led to deeper wisdom and understanding, but at the time was just overwhelming….please take very, very good care of yourself…try to nurture yourself, in whatever little ways you are able.
    Last year I got through another difficult crises with…the image of a candle and the song that went with it….”be a light in my lantern”…..I hope you can find some inspiration that helps, too…
    This post has the candle and lantern….and the link to the song too…https://pocketperspectives.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/be-a-light-in-my-lantern/
    as you see….that candle image is a powerful one for me…it truly was a guiding light…thank you so much for that candle lighter honor….may your own candle, and the candles of others, bring you strength, nurturing and comfort…. my best to you…kathy

• Connie Wayne says:

Thanks Kathy. I have enjoyed your blog so much, and it tells me a lot about the person who writes it. That is why I chose you for the Candle Lighter Award. Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and wisdom. I have been trying to do just what you recommend. I will definitely visit the link you sent. Thanks again. Blessings, Connie

5. Kate Kresse says:

Connie: I am sorry you and your family are going through a difficult time. I created the Candle Lighter Award to encourage and recognize blogs/bloggers like you. Here is the post where I announced my creation of the award: http://believeanyway.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/creation-of-new-blog-award-the-candle-lighter-award/. Anyone that is interested in knowing why I created the award can click on the link and read the story. Thank you for the gift of your blog.

6. HI Connie…I just passed along your kind Candle Lighter acknowledgment to a very dear and generous friend who is a Buddhist monk… a kind person who has given me tremendous support through the past 3 years….another definite candle lighter http://reflectionsfromafriend.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/1230-a-candle-lighter-thank-you/
    I hope that you, your brother and sister are all resting and feeling some peacefulness and calmness….my best to all of you….kathy

• Connie Wayne says:

Thanks Kathy for your concern about my sister and brother. I am staying with my sister who is home now and recuperating. My brother’s test show that cancer is contained in one part of body for which surgery will be able to remove. Things are improving. Thanks for the link to your friend’s site. I look forward to visiting it. Connie

7. Kate Kresse says:

I am continuing to pray for your family.